THE WHAT YOU NEED PART:
1.5 yards stretch GOLD METALLIC FABRIC
Brother sewing machine
Curved Ruler (optional)
Grid lined wrapping paper or Pattern paper
THE HOW TO PART:
- Create a pattern using pattern paper or grid lined wrapping paper.
- Measure your waist, hips and determine a desired length. The pattern will be the same for the front and back so you only need to cut one pattern piece. To figure out the size, divide the waist measurement in half (example: if it’s 28” divided by 2 = 14”) then use half of that number to determine the pattern waistline (example: 14” divided by 2 = 7”). Measure from the edge of the paper and mark; do the same with the hip.
- Draw your pattern using a curved ruler or freehand by matching the marks. At this point you can determine the length too!
- Fold the fabric with right sides together and line up the edge of your pattern on the fold. Pin and cut. You will cut two pieces.
- With right sides of the fabric together, sew the side seams.
- Sew the elastic together at the ends with a ¾ inch overlap using a stretch stitch.
- Pin the elastic around the outer edge of the waistline.
- Zigzag stitch around the elastic at the waist. Be sure to stretch the fabric while you are sewing.
- Fold the elastic over and in to create the waistband and stitch in place.
10) Switch out the pressure foot on your machine for the blind hemstitch.
11) Using a blind hemstitch, finish your skirt to the desired length.
12) Pair this shimmering skirt with an over sized sweater, elegant top, or ruffled blouse.